Our Equipment Introduction Days consist of three courses, that may be taken separately or over a single day. These courses give you the knowledge and practical experience you need to start you on your digital fabrication journey. If you already have some background, that is great(!) This day will give you more experience, on each of the machines, the information you need to get started and practical activities you can practice from home.
The training consist of three courses (3D printing, Laser Cutting and CNC Routing) and a chance for hands-on experience with these machines - you can sign up to an individual tutorial or you can do it all in the one day.
Our approach is based on the principle of sharing our learning resources, so that in the Fab Lab you can concentrate on the making. There are tutorials that you can follow outside the class and software you can install at home. We can recommend free and open source software, and in particular, packages with good documentation and easily-available guides.
On the day we will use each of the three machines: the CNC router, the laser cutter and the 3D printer. And you may bring along designs, or your own laptop, so that you can try everything out on the day.
The following is a guide only. Please check our booking page to be sure of the course and the times. The workshops are arranged for Saturday, generally the last Saturday of the month.
On the day
Bring your laptop (if you have one available) - If you can’t there are one or two computers in the lab that already have the software and so on. Bring a notebook, or small material samples if you’d like to discuss them on the day.
MORNING WORKSHOP : Laser cutting (11am - 120 minutes)
Learn to make your own designs in plastic, textile, paper, cardboard, timber at a high speed with an incredible degree of accuracy, with our professional Trotec Laser Engraver. Learn how to prepare your own designs, the huge range of materials possible, the safety and operation of the machine.
- First we introduce the laser cutter machine, and see a demonstration.
- Discover our materio-thèque (Material Library): Wood, Stone, Glass, Plastic, Veneer
- Learn how to prepare the machine and use the software while setting up your job.
- Prepare Cuts and Engravings (incl. if you have any of your own files).
- Any remaining time will be dedicated to further laser cutting, other features and discussion.
AFTERNOON WORKSHOP : 3D printing (2pm - 120 minutes)
This course will explain the concept of 3D printing and demonstrate how to use a 3D printer with demonstrations on our Prusa printers and more. 3D printing is an extremely versatile prototyping technology which has a large variety of available materials. And 3D printing is a very accessible technology, advancing all the time with dedicated online communities and open source designs.
- Presentation and discussion of various 3D printers
- Introduction to FDM, SLA, SLS and other technologies.
- Preparing or slicing your own designs
- Start Printing!
PART 3 : CNC router (X - 120 minutes)
Unfortunately, our CNC course is not running at the moment.
In this course, we go through the basics of going from your 2D drawing to your very own routed, engraved or cut object. Our CNC router can be used to cut many types of timbers, plastics and some soft metals, with a size up to 2440mm x 1220mm x 200mm. * Get some practical experience on the CNC router
* Learn more about the different tools and what they are used for; about different accessories and how to change bits
* Learn how to get the machine up and going, as we cover calibration, different materials and safety.
* Learn how to use CAM software (Computer Aided Manufacturing). Prepare and make the file you prepared before the class.
Each class is €20 for students and €35 for adults. Under 14’s must be accompanied by an adult.
If you want to call in you may pay a deposit or the total to keep your space. Unfortunately we can only accept cash on the day. Reserve your place here!